At Asterdale Primary School, all school meals are freshly prepared and cooked on site by our catering team. The seasonal menu is planned by the catering manger, with an input from the School Council and class representatives. There are usually two main options, a dessert, yogurt or fruit and a drink of milk and water. The chilled salad bar has a selection of items available. Vegetarian options are available as well as special meal requirements for health or cultural reasons.
School dinners cost £2.20 per day. Payment is accepted weekly or termly by using the online "SchoolMoney" payment system, which is an easy, safe and secure method of payment using your debit or credit card.
Pupils are also able to bring sandwiches to school or select a combination of hot food and sandwiches from home. We request two weeks notice to make changes to normal meal arrangements.
Universal Infant Free School Meals
All pupils in Reception, Year 1 and Year 2 are entitled to receive a Free School Meal as part of the Government's Universal Infant Free School Meal Scheme.
VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION
All children who are entitled to Free School Meals because of their family circumstances bring an additional £1300 into the school budget to support their learning experiences at school. This money is known as Pupil Premium money and enables school to plan and support learning opportunities for these children.
If your child is entitled to free school meals anyway you still need to apply and register your entitlement otherwise school will not receive this additional funding.
A child is entitled to Free School meals if parents/carers are in receipt of any of the following benefits:
- Income support
- Income-based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of State Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (provided they are not also entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual gross income of no more than £16,190, as assessed by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs)
- Working Tax Credit run-on - paid 4 weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit
- During the initial roll out of the benefit, Universal Credit
If you are in receipt of any of the above benefits please contact the school office for further information. You can also download and complete the online form below.